The academic activities of NIIST is managed by the Academic programme committee (APC). This committee is specially constituted for the purpose of streamlining the admissions to the doctoral programme, short term trainings, project works as a part of the M.Sc., M.Tech, M.Pharm, M.Phil Programmes of colleges/Universities, assist the management of NIIST in the extra mural and HRD activities of the laboratory. The committee in addition to the following mandate, recommends the Director from time to time measures to improve an ensure the quality of the research programmes undertaken by the students in various R & D divisions. APC has the following assigned mandate:
- To place the project students from other educational institutions/ colleges/Universities with appropriate R&D group /divisions /sections as and when the requests are received and as per the procedure.
- To arrange the visits of students to the laboratory on selective basis during various functions.
- To arrange and organize open days such as National Science Day, National Technology Day, CSIR Foundation Day, NIIST Foundation Day, CSIR programme on Youth for Leadership in Science (CPYLS) and other academic activities assigned by NIIST / CSIR from time to time.
- To coordinate admission of research scholars for the Ph.D programme, official requirement of the research scholars with respect to Ph.D registration, submission of synopsis/ thesis etc.
- To assist the management of the Institute in student affairs.
- To arrange seminars by visiting scientist / Academicians etc.
Apart from this NIIST has Ph.D. programs for the Academy of Scientific and Innovative Research (AcSIR). Admissions for this programme will be twice a year and will be advertised separately.