The central theme of organic synthesis is making and breaking of bonds in a selective and controlled fashion in order to synthesize compounds of specific interest leading to pharamaceuticals, insecticidal and other biologically active compounds. A number of novel synthetic methodologies based on pericyclic reactions, chemical electron transfer, tin mediated radical cyclization, transition metal catalysis and muticomponent reactions have been developed. Green chemical synthesis comprising of enzyme mediated organic reactions and clay catalyzed organic synthesis have been developed. Also involved in various projects on natural products which are nationally co-ordinated.
- Kerala State Young Scientist Award – 2018
- CSIR Young Scientist Award – 2019
- CSIR Technology Award 2020: The team developed a low-cost multipurpose handheld Raman spectrometer for automated analytical and diagnostic application, particularly for testing of food and pharmaceutical adulteration.
- Cervical cancer screening kit: Successfully development of SERS based ultrasensitive detection of Cervical cancer in clinical samples (exfoliated cells from cervix) by label free Raman fingerprint analysis. This development was achieved in collaboration with Regional Cancer Centre (RCC), Trivandrum. (PCT Int. Appl. (2020), WO 2020021568 A1 20200130. Language: English, Database: CAPLUS, Date: 30th January, 2020)
- Established a fully-fledged and functional formulation development and quality control laboratory.
- Signed MoU with Kerala State Drugs and Pharmaceuticals Limited for the development of knowledge base on 15 pharmaceutical APIs
- A single vessel process for preparation of alkylphosphocholines (e.g. Miltefosine)
[Indian Patent Application No. 201911003844]
- An uttroside saponin based immune-adjuvant/potentiator composition and process for preparation thereof.
[Indian Patent Application No. 201811042595]
- A novel high-yielding method of isolation of clinical candidate for liver cancer, Uttroside B
- Novel process for synthesis of APIs: Forodesine [BCX-1777, a precursor for antiviral Galidesivir (BCX-4430)], Miglitol (Glyset), and Miglustat (Zavesca)
- Novel process for synthesis of APIs: Molnupiravir (EIDD 2801), a broad spectrum antiviral.
[Indian Patent Application No. 202111019499]
- An improved Process for the preparation of pyrylium salts. [US20210087158A1; March 25th 2021]
- Novel process for synthesis of APIs: An improved process for the preparation of Nitazoxanide and intermediates thereof. [Patent filed August 2021]
- Pyrazole-carboxamide derivatives as triple-negative breast anticancer agents. [Patent filed August 2021]
- Novel process for synthesis of APIs: A short and cost effective synthetic route towards antiviral EIDD-1931 and its hydrate polymorphs. [Patent filed August 2021]
- Diagnostic Screening Kit for breast cancer biomarkers: Simultaneous Detection of Clinically Relevant Biomarkers from Breast Cancer Tissue Samples using Surface Enhanced Raman Scattering (SERS) nano-tags. (Indian Patent Application ref. No. 202011034768, dated 11.08.2020).