Sunil Varughese is a structural chemist with expertise in structure-property correlations in molecular materials. He uses concepts of crystal engineering and non-covalent synthetic methodologies to design molecular materials. He has several years of experience in the studies of polymorphism and phase transition behavior in active pharmaceutical ingredients (APIs). His current research focuses on the mechanical properties of molecular crystals (studied using nanoindentation technique) in terms of compositional variations, spatial packing efficiency and hydrogen-bond connectivity. The flexibility and the weak energetics involved in intermolecular interactions are used to adopt a non-covalent/supramolecular strategy to modify the molecular arrangements and crystal packing and thereby to tune the fluorescence properties of molecular materials.
- Lanthanide complex-derived white-light emitting solids: A survey on design strategies S. SeethaLekshmi, A. R. Ramya, M. L. P. Reddy, and Varughese*
Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology C: Photochemistry Reviews 2017, 33, 109.
- Odd–even effect in the elastic modulii of ?,? -alkanedicarboxylic acids. M. K. Mishra, S. Varughese, U. Ramamurty,G. R. Desiraju
Journal of the American Chemical Society 2013, 135, 8121.
- Nanoindentation in crystal engineering: quantifying mechanical properties of molecular crystals. S. Varughese,M. Kiran, U. Ramamurty, G. R. Desiraju
Angewandte Chemie International Edition 2013, 52, 2701.
- Nanoindentation as a Probe for Mechanically-Induced Molecular Migration in Layered Organic Donor–Acceptor Complexes.. S. Varughese, M. S. R. N. Kiran, U. Ramamurty, G. R. Desiraju
Chemistry-An Asian Journal 2012, 7, 2118.
- Interaction anisotropy and shear instability of aspirin polymorphs established by nanoindentation.S. Varughese, M. S. R. N. Kiran, K. A. Solanko, A. D. Bond, U. Ramamurty, G. R. Desiraju
Chemical Science 2011, 2, 2236.
- Switching and tuning organic solid-state luminescence via a supramolecular approachS. P. Anthony, S.Varughese, S. M. DraperChemical Communications. 2009, 7500-7502.
- A Competitive Molecular Recognition Study: Syntheses and Analysis of Supramolecular Assemblies of 3,5-Dihydroxybenzoic
Acid and Its Bromo Derivative with Some N-Donor Compounds. S. Varughese, V. R. Pedireddi Chemistry, A European Journal, 2006, 12, 1597.
- Hydrogen bond mediated open-frame networks in coordination polymers : Supramolecular assemblies of Pr(III) and 3,5-dinitro-4-methylbenzoic acid with aza-donor compounds.S. Varughese, V. R. Pedireddi
Chemical Communications, 2005, 1824.
Reach me @