The Knowledge Resource Centre offers information, literature and information technology support to the researchers of NIIST from its constantly updated rich collection of resources and technology services. The RFID-enabled library has a rich collection of books, periodicals, databases and other intellectual materials.
9 am to 7.00 pm (Monday to Friday) & 9 am to 4 pm on Saturdays
Holding Statistics as of 01st January 2023:
Category of Books
No. of books
Periodicals Bound Volumes
Gratis Books including Thesis
Membership is open to all researchers and staff whose tenure in NIIST is above six months. Research scholars of other institutes are permitted to use the KRC resources for reading & reference on special requests from the Heads of concerned Departments/ Institutes.
Acquisition of Books
Subscription to Periodicals
Subscription to databases & research support tools
Circulation Control System
Database Search Service
Patents Search Service
Reference & Referral Services
Electronic Theses & Dissertations
Inter-Library Resource Sharing
Research support services
Dr. P. Nishy
Head, Knowledge Resource Centre,
National Institute for Interdisciplinary Science & Technology (CSIR),
Industrial Estate P.O.,
Thiruvananthapuram – 695 019, India
Tel. 91-471-2515293, 2490672
E-Mail: krc[at]niist[dot]res[dot]in, nishy[at]niist[dot]res[dot]in
Library procures books of your interest and demand and you will be informed about the recent additions through your Email ID. Every month, a list of recent additions as well as the content page of new Issues of Print Journals will be posted in your Email-ID.
New books are arranged on the “New Arrivals” display near the entrance for a limited time (usually 1 year) in order that library users may have a chance to browse new acquisitions. The books are issued to the user who has recommended for procurement or shelved to the respective racks.
Online Journals & databases search facilities for NIIST researchers & Walk-in Users
Few computers are installed with Linux for the use of Research Scholars and staff members. Users can access the online subscribed resources of the library, Digitised theses and dissertations, to write their article, theses or dissertations from these computers. Internet facility is available on each computer with the authorised net access. Walk-in-users are provided with temporary access to the net. These computers are meant for the use of academic purpose only.
Circulation Services provides friendly and courteous service to the user community for lending the library materials. Additionally, staff members are responsible for answering directional questions, maintaining photocopiers, access services, and issues related to managing physical collections.
Materials may be checked out with a valid library card. Circulation period for books is One month.
Library binds the loose issues of subscribed Journals which have archival values for future reference. These bound volumes act like the treasure house of knowledge for the Research Scholars in their hunt for knowledge. The collection of bound Journals are organized alphabetically at the bound volume section.
Document Copy Service
Copy, printing and scanning services are available at the Library for free of charge for NIIST staff and research Scholars. there are printers, scanners, photocopiers, and paper cutters are available.
- American Chemical Society
- American Institute of Physics
- IEEE Explore Digital Library
- Institute of Physics
- Royal Society of Chemistry
- Springer Nature (Chemistry & Material Science and Engineering)
- Taylor & Francis
- Wiley & Blackwell
- Oxford Journals
- Acta Materialia
- Annals of Library and Information Studies
- Biochemical Engineering Journal
- Bioscience, Biotechnology and Biochemistry
- Bioresource Technology
- Cardiovascular research
- Ceramics International
- Collnet Journal
- Current Science
- Down to Earth
- Dyes and Pigments
- Food Chemistry
- Food Technology Magazine
- Free Radical Biology & Medicine
- Indian Journal of Biochemistry & Biophysics
- Indian Journal of Biotechnology
- Indian Journal of Chemical Technology
- Indian Journal of Chemistry: A
- Indian Journal of Chemistry: B
- Indian Journal of Engineering & Materials Sciences
- Indian Journal of Experimental Biology
- Indian Journal of Geo Marine Sciences
- Indian Journal of Natural Products and Resources
- Indian Journal of Pure & Applied Physics
- Indian Journal of Traditional Knowledge
- International Journal of Cast Metals Research
- Journal of Biosciences
- Journal of Chemical Sciences
- Journal of Earth System Science
- Journal of Environmental Engineering
- Journal of Food Composition and Analysis
- Journal of Food Engineering
- Journal of Industrial and Engineering Chemistry
- Journal of Intellectual Property Rights
- Journal of Lipid Research
- Journal of nutrition
- Journal of Scientific and Industrial Research
- Nature Chemistry
- Nature Materials
- Nature Medicine
- Proceedings of The Indian Academy of Science: Mathematical Sciences
- Resonance: Journal of Science Education
- Science Reporter
- Scientific American
- Tetrahedron Letters
- Transactions of The ASABE
- Waste Management and Research
- ASTM Standards
- Derwent Innovation Index
- Questel Q-Pat (for user account contact library)
- SciFinder (for user account contact library)
- Web of Science
- Current Science
QuillBot academic writing platform is an AI-powered paraphrasing tool that includes functionality such as Paraphraser, Grammar Check, Summarizer, Citation Generator, Plagiarism Checker, and many more products that will enhance the writing of emails, essays, sentences, paragraphs, articles, thesis statements, and social media posts.
Grammar Checker: Correct Grammar, Spell Check, Check Punctuation, Correct A Multitude of Grammatical Errors. There is also a free essay checker, punctuation checker, proofreader and other tools to help boost academic performance.
Paraphraser: QuillBot’s paraphrasing tool helps rewrite and enhance any sentence, paragraph, or article for fluency using AI.
Plagiarism Checker: Ensure proper authorship & citations.
Summarizer: QuillBot’s summarizer can condense articles, papers, or documents down to the key points instantly in two ways: key sentences and paragraph mode.
Citation Generator: Easily create full and in-text citations in thousands of formats.
Co-writer: All-in-one writing space that combines online research capabilities, note taking, and AI-assisted autocomplete to give you a seamless writing and research experience without ever having to leave the page
Translator: No matter who you are or what you’re writing, if you need to use another language, QuillBot has you covered.
User Guide: consists of short and crisp tutorials on tool features, demo videos, and related blogs for learning and writing.
Follow the below instructions to register with Quillbot:
Sign up using your official email ID and set up a password.
Click on the verification email you received to activate Premium.
Training /workshops are held periodically on:
- Literature Search
- Patent search
- Reference management
- Research Evaluation
- Spreadsheets and database
- Academic writing
- Academic Presentations & Posters
- Academic Identity
- Social media for researcher
- Open Access & Institutional Repository
The NIIST Photographer, Nagasrinivasu, is based in KRC.
Nagasrinivasu can be booked to photograph:
- Events /conferences
- Staff portraits
- Publicity shots
- Images for teaching, dissertations, essays, Publications and individual research
Please fill-in the request form for availing the service
Reference Management Softwares
Reference management software, citation management software or personal bibliographic management software is software for scholars and authors to use for recording and utilising bibliographic citations.
Zotero is a free, easy to use software which help the researchers to collect, save, manage and cite bibliographic information about the items (books, journal articles etc.) you find on the web. It also works with word processing programs to help you easily cite your sources as you write.
Mendeley is a free reference manager and academic social network that can help you organize your research, collaborate with others online, and discover the latest research
EndNote is a commercial reference management software package, used to manage bibliographies and references when writing essays and articles. It is produced by Clarivate Analytics (previously Thomson Reuters).
Web of Science is an online subscription-based scientific citation indexing service originally produced by the Institute for Scientific Information, now maintained by Clarivate Analytics, that provides a comprehensive citation search
Dr. P. NishyChief Scientist & Head
Mr.Rahul L RSenior Technical Officer (1)
Mr.Nagasrinivasu GSenior Technician(2)
Mr.Pushpa Kumar K R NairLab Assistant
Dos and Do nots
- Show the documents which are being taken out of the library, to the staff at the check point.
- Contact the staff on duty/section staff for any queries.
- Keep the Library premises tidy.
- Make sure that you download the papers actually required by you.
- The quantity of allowed downloading varies from publisher to publisher. Contact KRC personnel to seek clarification, if any.
- Remember! E-access has been subscribed under an agreement with the publishers. Let’s make sure not to violate any agreement.
- Waste more than half an hour to locate the documents. If you experience any difficulty in locating the required material, Please contact the Library Staff/librarian.
- Move books/journals from its specific area to another area.
- Replace the material: the library staff will do it for you. (Please remember the document misplaced is document lost)
- Write in a book/journal unless it is your cheque book
- Give borrowers cards to others.
- Download papers that you might possibly require in future. The access to the required resources will continue. So, please don’t download unnecessary papers
- Systematic downloading is strictly prohibited. The systematic downloading includes cover to cover download or bulk downloading from same journal/database.
- Talk or discuss that will disturb other readers. Reading halls are meant for individual study only.
- Leave personal papers and non-library materials unattended on tables.
All regular scientists/officers, staff, project scientists/project assistants, student trainees of the institutes are authorised to use KRC. Retired employees can use KRC without borrowing facility. A valid library account is needed to be able to borrow materials from the library.
Yes, loose journal can be borrowed except restricted and the most recent issues for a shorter duration of two days.
All Scientists/officers and staff can submit their requests with all bibliographical details through their Divisional Heads.
KRC resources data can be accessed through Open Public Access Catalogue (OPAC). You can search by author, title, subject, any field, new arrivals, patron and browse the items.
Full-text electronic journals that are available under e-journal resources can be accessed through respective publishers’ web-links, provided at Institute web-page.
Personal books or other reading materials can be taken to library after getting the permission from the staff on duty.