IT LAB at CSIR NIIST is vitally connected to the Global knowledge with its state-of-the-art IT infrastructure and high speed campus network serving the information and computing needs of users in research, administration, learning and personal communications. The IT group has been in the forefront of deploying information technologies to help our scientists in their chosen area of research. IT Lab has grown immensely and continues to serve its critical role in the laboratory through harnessing the power of digital technology and tech-enabled solutions to support better learning and living experiences.
We at the IT Lab manage the campus-wide IT infrastructure and facilitate access to all NIIST IT resources. We also manage e-services and applications, and provide IT technical support to NIIST staff and research scholars. We also provide, maintain and manage information technology infrastructure, network, website, e-mail, management information system, software and hardware to support the research activities in NIIST.
All facilities, resources and services available over the Internet and Intranet are accessible by staff and researchers on the campus network, wired or wireless. Research is further facilitated by NIIST’s rich online learning materials and abundant online digital library resources.
We take pride in supporting various divisions and sections, providing IT users with great experience by making things Easy and Friendly. Our services allow students and staff to stay connected with the world, anywhere, anytime.
Below is an overview of our major activities:
- Internet Connectivity: Leased line connectivity from NKN (100 Mbps) and standby line from BSNL (100 Mbps), Fiber and Ethernet Cabling interconnecting buildings, 1000+ internet ports, 40+ Wi-Fi access points, Chassis Core Switch and manageable switches
- Biometric Attendance: Aadhar enabled biometric attendance devices, face recognized door access for security reasons
- Website and MIS: Institutional website in trilingual mode, Intranet portal for internal users and websites for conferences
- Digital Display and Social Media: Digital display devices, social media communication through Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn
- Recruitment Portals: Portals for online application for both permanent and temporary recruitments
- Server / Firewall: Management of high end servers and firewall for secured communication network, DHCP leasing through MAC binding, monitoring of network activities
- E-mail Services: Co-ordination with NIC for the creation / deletion of emails for staff and research scholars. Management of distribution lists for bulk forwarding of emails.
- Software: Management of Software for Stores and Purchase, Dispensary, Guest House, D-Space, Library Management software and Students Management software
- Backup: Periodical backing of data from intranet portal, recruitment portals, website, stores and purchase software etc.
- Institutional Identity Cards: Printing of Identity cards for Scientists, Staff, Research Scholars and Pensioners on need basis
- IT Service Support: Help desk and servicing support of PCs, laptops, printers, scanners and other computer peripherals for staff and students.
- Fellowships: Handling of Student fellowship portals for both CSIR and UGC research scholars of CSIR NIIST
- E-Office / GEM / E-Procurement: Creation and management of users for e-office, GEM and E-procurement at CSIR NIIST
- Value Added Services: Ensuring quality assurance in the acquisition of IT products and services, support for annual reports & newsletters, Skill training, participation in administrative activities
- IT Lab maintains all the computers and all the IT related components of CSIR NIIST. We have sufficient infrastructure to maintain the activities and provide campus wide network.
- Some of the IT infrastructure are,
- Data Center: We have a sophisticated data centre where we have hosted servers, Core Swtich, Firewall and storage devices which is built on an area of around 300 sq.ft.
- Servers: IBM, DELL, FUSION, CISCO
- Firewall : Sophos
- Switches : CISCO, HP, Ruckus, Aruba.
- Fibre: Multicore Fiber
- Access Points: CISCO, Ruckus, Aruba, HP, D-link
Mr.Moni VPrincipal Scientist & Public Information Officer
Dr.Ribin Jones S BPrincipal Scientist
Mr S. PushkinSenior Technical Officer
Ms. Geethu LProject Assistant
Ms. Vindhuja TProject Associate
IT Lab is dedicated in providing quality IT services to the NIIST community. We play a vital role in supporting scientists, staff and students in carrying out their daily tasks. We offer various technical support services like assistance on network services, in-house applications, and address IT-related inquiries.
We make every effort to respond to all received queries to the IT Lab within one business day, and aim to respond to urgent cases more rapidly.
IT Service Desk can be reached through the following channels
Helpline : 0471-2515326, 473, 485
Mail : itlab[at]niist[dot]res[dot]in